Sunday 5 May 2013

Beamish through to Ousbrough Woods

 Yesterday, Ern, Mr Hinks and myself headed out for a mini adventure in Beamish Woods. We also took in part of Ousbrough Woods as it interlinks, depending on which trail you take.

My plans were to checkout different areas of the woods before actually riding them on my Sandman. There are some really steep banked sides in which the trees have taken root and in certain places it's un-rideable, no clear marked trails plus it's a bit on the dangerous side as there are some rather large drops.

It wasn't a bad day yesterday, in fact I had to take of my jacket and was happy just wandering around in my t-shirt and the norm for me shorts. We found some neat new trails and I even spotted a few places that looked as if they hadn't been ridden or walked on and thought to myself " Mmmm they may make for a nice blast down".

As we were checking out the woods we came to a rather steep incline, it was way to steep for us to walk down and I wasn't sure I could even make it on my bike. Would have to give it some thought when I returned, with my bike and camera.

After having a good look around we decided to head back up the bank side, in the general direction of where we had left the car. Now this bank side was as you can imagine quite slippy, what with pine needles,moss,old tree branches and twigs, you know the kind of stuff you see in a wood. Anyhoo I was making good progress, even though I was knackered "WoW what a climb". Then all of a sudden my prosthetic knee snagged and it bent/broke at the knee. I thought I was going to fall back down this geet big bank so grabbed for the nearest available tree. Now my dad says the tree was only around 3 inches in diameter, however I'm sure it was more like a huge oak, as when the bloody thing  snapped and then proceeded to twat me on the back of the head, well lets say I was a little stunned. I thought I'd done some serious damage to my shoulder too, as it felt like I had torn something. As I eventually got to the top of the bank I felt a bit better, just a bit sore where the tree had attacked me and took the skin off my arm.

After my fight with a tree, of course I was victorious

A small walk along the trail and we were soon back at our car. Got Mr Hinks and ourselves in and then we popped up to my Aunt and Uncles were I received some medical attention in the form of some Sudacrem from my Aunty Claire lol.

A nice cup of coffee and I was sorted felt much better and I had a better idea of where I could ride potentially on my next local adventure.

And so to today...

A very enjoyable outing, found some new trails which are quite fun and as usual had a blast on my Sandman. I feel so lucky to be able to get out on days like this, what with having my Bartlett Tendon. After years of being stuck in the house with a dodgy leg it sure does make you appreciate the great outdoors. Things are starting to blossom and bloom and these ancient woods sure are beautiful, even if the odd tree doesn't decide to help out and has a go at you instead lol.









 





































Today's footage was a mixed bag. I was gutted that most of the stuff that I took whilst my camera was on my helmet was pants, it's way to shaky. I do have one canny shot that you should all like so I have done a quick vid. What the hell possessed me to yank my front brake on and go arse over tit is beyond me I sometimes have these moments...when I say sometimes I do of course mean just about everyday.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Comment